Pages

Sunday, December 2, 2012

Sweet Nagomi Cumquat of Mine


 
Crappy Monday.  Not for any other reason than its Monday and all Mondays are crappy.  It’s a fact. 


This Monday, I got a smile on my face as I sat at my desk to see what the week will bring.   Looking out the window (yes, I was seeking distractions already) I see my little cumquat tree.  Poor thing, once a majestic, topiary, cat-walk-model Nagami cumquat, she was now a lopsided, bedraggled, half dead half alive shadow of her former self.

She looks like a drug addict, and this is why I had to move her onto my front veranda where I can put her into rehab, watch her closely, and nurture her back to health.  She needs lots of good food, water, fresh air and tender care.  I think a good haircut, some fresh clothes and a good bath won’t go astray either.

I blame the Kaffir lime.  He is handsome yes, but thorny and rebellious and was a real party boy.  Growing WAY outside his pot, his lifestyle spilled out and influenced the elegant Tahitian Lime; the smooth ladies’ man Kalamata Olive and my poor sweet, innocent Nagami cumquat.  I could see the aftermath of some of the parties, puckered limes on the ground, leaves strewn everywhere.  Sometimes it got really rough and there would be soil spilled on the paving.  Those times, I had to call in the police and get the place swept up.

Kaffir had to go.  He had sullied all that was nice and decent in the fruit tree village.  His ego had got out of control, being fed by illicit substances like the air-conditioner water.  His roots were firmly down into the seedy underground.  The other fruit trees, were content to stay in their little pots, happy with the life given to them.  Sure, they indulged sometimes, but Kaffir just had to take it a step too far.
 

Yesterday, he was evicted.  He was thrown out onto the streets to fend for himself.  I don’t know if he will survive, his life blood being severed from the connection with the underworld.  I know Nagami will pine for him, but time and healing will show her a better life. 
 
 

 

 

4 comments:

  1. Good decision, you can get more use out of Nagami than Kaffir, ah to have a fruit tree village.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Last years crop of cumquats are soaking in a bath of gin and sugar. Will be lovely now on some vanilla icecream!

      Delete
  2. stunning post, very funny, my heart belongs to the lemon and lime trees of which I currently have neither x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rae! I long for the day when I can have a proper orchard - until then I have a gaggle of fruit trees in pots!

      Delete