- Grumpy really does start at 50. Uncle J turned 50 on Friday. In true form, he didn't want to do anything but smoke his cigar, drink and moan about the world. Being his special day, we indulged him, but when he started to say that Shakespeare was a pretentious twat, I drew the line.
- I never knew I was so passionate about Shakespeare (I am not really, but it is fun to bicker and argue with cranky, middle aged men)
- Sheep poo doesn't feel so nice squished between your toes. I was helping Son#1 with a little garden project, and we had emptied a bag of sheep poo on this garden bed a few weeks before. It was now wet and breaking down nicely. I had stupidly not worn suitable shoes for digging in (I thought we were just going to do the fun bit, like shopping for plants at this stage) so had to wade in barefoot. It was all very Bohemian.
- Watching a lone bagpiper play a traditional song moves me to tears. We went to watch Son#2 girlfriend play in her brass band (she is a very talented trombone player). It was held at the Salvation Army hall in the city and it was a huge crowd. The theme was very British, and very moving.
- We have now renamed our little part of the world Bas Vegas. Mr K spent the entire afternoon putting up blue lights around the pool. Its all very Flamingo 1950.
- Don't mess with a proven pastry recipe. If I do say so myself, I make a pretty good apple pie. My mum makes one to rival it. I have her recipe, but like all offspring, we try and make it better, make it our own. Over the years I have tweaked, and changed and perfected my own recipe. Except yesterday, when I was asked to bring an apple pie to a Thanksgiving dinner, I decided to experiment with my pastry. Fail. Back to the original.
- When you put out your rubbish for bring-out-your-dead collection, and a lot of it is good stuff that you hope other people will take - it will rain like it hasn't done in months and ruin the stuff you have kept dry and safe.
Well that's about all the lessons I can stand for one week. The week coming up looks like a doozy too.
What did you learn this week?