Pages

Thursday, January 31, 2013

Bad news and perspective



Had some pretty crappy news at work today - can't say exactly what, but it impacts us in a way that we really question why we run our own small business.  I was having a rare (and not always welcome) visit to the hairdressers, and was about to have the only bit of the ordeal I like - a treatment and scalp massage - when my phone beeps a message with the bad news.  Nothing I could do but lay back and pretend to be relaxed and enjoying the pampering when my insides were churning and I was hyperventilating!

Took me a few hours, some lamenting and fuming, some heated discussions,  tears - to then see a newspaper of the terrible floods in QLD - again.

Those poor, poor people.  Seeing one couple's story slapped me about with a get -over-the-self-pity crap and made me want to reach out for these fellow small business people.  For the THIRD time their little shop had been flooded.  There they were in mud and water up over their shelves and counter and still with a feint smile on their face and a determined stiff upper lip.  They lost stock, had to clean up the mess, and try and start again.  I know they will lose lots of money, not just for now, but it will take them months and years to catch up.  They were not rich people, just ordinary battlers trying to run their business.

I so admired them.  I so felt for them.  Sure put my news and day into perspective.

Today, I vowed that the next years budget we set aside for donations and charities (usually to PMH or children's sport or make a wish) was going to the flood victims.  

6 comments:

  1. The saying is there is always someone worse off than yourself. This always helps me put my issues into perspective. However I always have to wonder who is at the bottom of that list - who is the worst off. Strange I know. Now I am waffling.

    The floods in our country have been crapola as have the fires. We are very fast to donate to overseas causes but I think we should all follow your lead and donate to our own backyard as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like your perspective on who might be bottom of the list, but maybe they have a better outlook than us?

      Delete
  2. That doesnt sound good I hope it all works out for you. Would be a struggle having your own small business and Im sure you've had your fair share of tough times, but you'll get through it I'm sure you will x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle. We have always believed in what doesn't kill you makes you stronger - damn we are strong! ;-) All is good now.

      Delete
  3. Sending good wishes your way. More people need to know how tough it is to run a small business, then they might stop buying form overseas xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rae, yes a good point - I always try and buy local and certainly Australian (or NZ!)

      Delete