Pages

Monday, April 23, 2012

C'est la vie

Literally translated from French, it means "It is the life". Better translations lead to "That's life" or "it's life". It has to be said with a shrug and a relaxed, accepting tone of voice - of course with a French accent.  It does not mean you  are giving up, but rather accepting that you can't fight life, it is better to just go with it.  It is a gentle, serene saying.
It also reminds me of the Serenity Prayer, a modern take on some old texts by American theologist Reinhold Niebuhr. 
God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
And wisdom to know the difference.
I like this saying very much, I just leave out who I am asking for this state of mind.  I don't know why, but I always thought this was an Irish prayer, an old Celtic wisdom.  Maybe that's because the first time I heard it was when (Irish) Sinead O'Connor started her song "Feels So Different" with it.  AA has also adopted this as their opening prayer. 


Ned Kelly said something similar when he was told what time his execution had been set "Such is Life".  Nothing much he could do about it, better to just accept it and be at peace.  Kelly has been placed as rebel hero status in Australia and his words have been immortalised in tattoos and tshirts throughout the bogan communities.  It is a very Australian attitude, and one that is better for our health than fighting the inevitable. 
Then dear sweet Doris Day sang Que Sera Sera, whatever will be will be. So the Spanish also have a take on this saying. 
I bought a cushion to remind me to not take life so seriously.  Or was it just because I like the colour?  But no matter how we say it ... c'est la vie, such is life, que sera sera, or the serenity prayer .. the same message is there. 
Chill out man!!  Have a great Monday all.

No comments:

Post a Comment