I don't know why this didn't occur to me sooner as now I have thought about it a huge black cloud has lifted from around my head. I have a little more energy and zip and actually feel something. A little voice has been niggling away at me, that we went into this business so we could have a better lifestyle. And at first this was true. We both worked from home, there was a LOT less stress, we could take a day off together if we wanted to. We ate better, were far healthier and a hell of a lot happier. Now we are both stressed, both unhappy, both terribly unhealthy and unfit. We spend way too much money on junk food and junk .. a symptom of being unhappy. I would make this sacrifice IF we were making money that would one day buy me a better lifestyle. BUT the reality is that we don't and in fact have gone backwards and have more debt .. so to me, it's a no brainer. The other half of the partnership is not willing to do anything other than what he is doing, so my only option is to change what I am doing. In the absence of being able to move to Dream Property .. this could be a good alternative. At least I might be able to save my health and sanity.
In fairness I will do the old pro and con list and see if I can compromise on the cons to make this a reality. But first, what will it take?
- PC with terminal server working PROPERLY
- Documents Scanner so that I can scan and archive all invoices etc - we were going to have to start doing this anyway.
- VOIP phone - connected properly.
- Office in a separate room with a desk and bookcases/returns for printer/scanner - old guest room
- Need to go into the office one day a week to get invoices, mail, touch base with staff etc.
- Office Chair - one that is supportive and better for my back
- I can work just as effectively at home than I can in the office
- Stop being distracted (and stressed) by the goings on in the service area
- Can hand over jobs that are not related to accounts and have the correct people dealing with them i.e RA's, stock issues, domains, staff issues
- Will see sunshine and daylight instead of doom and gloom in a basement
- Will be home in afternoons to make healthy and cost saving meals
- Will be home to keep doggies company
- Have time to do some meditation and exercise to combat pain from stress
- Will be better for K and I to have some time apart
- Wont feel so frustrated when I am expected to be a partner but in reality have no voice
- Wont have to go to and from work in a smoky car
- Can work my own hours - get up early and start work early so I can leave work early and do things that feed my soul.
- One day a week in the office is plenty to collect post, invoices, stay in touch with staff.
- Stop being the 'go to' person for staffs little problems that if left alone they can (and will have to) work out for themselves.
- Will have time to keep the house tidy and organised and therefore much more relaxing to be in.
- Won't have to spend money on a cleaner, so many clothes, lunches.
- Won't be tempted to eat naughty things like chocolate and chips as I wont be close to shops.
- K's life will be better - he will go to work in an ironed shirt, come home to a cooked meal.
- Will be able to work in a much nicer and 'girly' environment that is better for my work style.
- Won't be in the office everyday to deal with problems that come up - but I will be only a phone call/email away.
- Will lose the daily contact with staff - may be a good thing to be less involved and they may feel better
- Won't get a good cup of coffee everyday! - oh well, will have to buy some good tea.
- May get too isolated and become a hermit - Oh I wish!
- Will leave SB being the only female! - she will love it.
It's a no brainer huh?