It's been one of those jobs I have been wanting to to, and meaning to do, but each time I looked in there it seemed such a daunting task. Where do I start? There were shoes that needed mending or throwing out, or just plain old putting away in the plastic shoe boxes. Clothes that I had pulled out to put into charity bags, but didnt have any garbage bags, that were in a pile in the corner. Clothes from another era (when I was a runner!) were spilling out of a hanging draw. It was very depressing and therefore I rarely went in there, instead my clean clothes were piled on my dressing table and chair and I dressed from there. What!? Was I still 16?
Of course I did what every procrastinator did - I found 101 reasons why I couldnt tackle the mess.
- I need garbage bags to put the old clothes in
- I need to make the bed before I can put all the clothes out to sort
- I need to buy new wooden coat hangers
- I dont have time to finish the whole job
- I am not in the mood/tired/busy
- I need a new set of drawers
- Its too dusty in there
- Its hot
- Its cold
- I need to check Pinterest for some inspiration
Sunday, I had a day with no plans, I had had a good rest Saturday, and something inside me said 'just get started on your wardrobe' (was it you Mum? Did you channel that to me?) So I did. I just plunged in there and stared pulling out every item and stacking it in piles on the bed and floor and hallway. I grabbed the garbage bags (that I had finally got around to buying) and started throwing all the clothes that I currently did not wear. I had this mantra in my head ... "have you worn this in the last 3 months?" If the answer was no, I shoved it in the bag. I also kept telling myself a few more stories to keep me going -
- Even if I do lose weight, I can treat myself to some new jeans/running tops
- Did I really love wearing this top/dress? If I didnt then it went
- If these pants made me look like grandma, then they went
Very smug I am :-) right now!!
Lessons learnt today
- A clean wardrobe makes you feel good (and a little smug)
- It never takes as long as you think it will
- Just plunge in and ignore your procrastinating self
- There are very few charity bins around anymore, in fact we found none, and so we have a hallway full of black bags.
- Just DO IT!